Helping your children develop emotional intelligence contributes to their success as adults. Children with high emotional intelligence have more coping skills and are better able to control their emotions; this makes them more self-confident, respectful of others, and happier.
What is Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional intelligence is composed of the following dimensions:
- Self-awareness – Recognizing and knowing your emotions
- Management – Managing feelings for appropriate behavior
- Self-motivation – Maintaining enthusiasm and persistence in spite of setbacks and negative emotions
- Recognition – Recognizing emotions in other people
- Relationships – Handling relationships and responding to others’ emotions
Building Emotional Intelligence
Emotional intelligence grows over time as children interact with others and learn to control their emotions. As a parent, you can help you child develop emotional intelligence in many ways, including the following:
- Model emotional intelligence
- Listen to your children
- Help your children learn to recognize emotions, both their own and others’
- Enrolling your child in Calgary childcare
- Provide boundaries and direction
- Encourage your children to cultivate a positive outlook
Calgary Daycare and Emotional Intelligence
Enrolling your children in a Calgary daycare program that sets high expectations and gives opportunities for making decisions and accepting responsibility can also help develop their emotional intelligence. Socializing your child in a pre or after school daycare program will give them the opportunity to interact with adults and other children, which can lead to them developing emotional intelligence early on.
Some Calgary daycares have a strong focus on academics, including the Emergent Curriculum which is responsive to the interests of each child, and provides a flexible environment that can help in developing emotional intelligence.
Boost Emotional Intelligence by Enrolling Your Child in Daycare
Children thrive in environments that give them the chance to explore and grow. Some daycares in Calgary offer programs that give enough structure that children can develop emotional intelligence while learning how to socialize and interact with others. If you are looking for a Calgary daycare or a drop-in daycare in Calgary, make sure you choose a centre that focuses on helping your child develop emotional intelligence.
At Clever Daycare, we are committed to helping your child become well-rounded people.
Provide your child with the best start to their education and help them develop the emotional and social skills that will benefit them for life.
Contact Clever Daycare Centre for more information and speak to us at
Phone: 403-474- 4157 | Fax: 403-474- 4158 | [email protected]
Daycare Centre in Calgary